Thread: delays , is it normal?

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default delays , is it normal?

I have been perusing a case for 2 years with solicitors, I got fed up with my first solicitor as I wasn't being informed and he did nothing for 13 weeks as he was waiting for a reply from the defendantís solicitor.
    I changed to another solicitor who at the initial interview said they could sort my case out and would keep me informed. Now I have been waiting for 18 weeks with no contact from them so I phoned them yesterday but she was out of her office and I was assured she would phone me back in the afternoon, 24 hrs later still no contact!
    Is this normal behaviour for solicitors as I have never used one before???

VIP Member

Mentions
    109 Post(s)

Default Re: delays , is it normal?

Hi
    yes it can be, especially if they have nothing to report as in the case of your first solicitor although they really should make you aware of when and why they will contact you such as ' I will be in touch when I have had a response to my letter toxxxxxx)

Remember as well, many solicitors charge for every letter sent etc so do you really want them writing to you every week saying still waiting - another £25 ?
    Any advice or opinions I offer are based on my experience dealing with personal debt as well as other life events.
    I have no formal legal training
    Any advice is offered without liability
    If in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I thought they would at least chase up the defendants solicitor after a few weeks but it seems they do nothing until they are contacted, as a paramedic I would love their pay and conditions I could just drive by a collapsed person and wait for instructions then go to them when I had finished lunch (not that we get lunch!) lol.

VIP Member

Mentions
    109 Post(s)

I know it is annoying and we all think we would do better if it were us and although I am not a solicitor , I do know one or two and it is not a walk in the park. Yes they can earn lots of money but I know two that work at least 6 days a week, week in week out and wish the EU working time directive applied to them.
    Sadly as in most jobs these days it is a case of prioritising and the 'just in time' model of work.

I am sure it will be on their list, especially as you have now called- if not maybe another gentle prod.
    Any advice or opinions I offer are based on my experience dealing with personal debt as well as other life events.
    I have no formal legal training
    Any advice is offered without liability
    If in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB

VIP Member

Mentions
    621 Post(s)

It is an extraordinarily long period of time with the new solicitors. However, if you have move solicitors for the very same reason I suspect the current solicitors will want your file of papers rather than starting from scratch. If so, then the previous solicitors will probably want an undertaking from your new ones that they will get paid (if you've not already paid them otherwise the papers could be released) if your successful in your claim.

Is the claim on a no-win no fee basis or are you paying privately?

Have you received any correspondence from them such as an engagement letter or acknowledgement that they have been instructed? You might want to invoke their complaints procedure and set the wheels in motion there, if they don't comply you could take it further to the Legal Ombudsman for a ruling. Depending on the nature of your claim, you might also want to be aware of any limitation period if you are coming anywhere near it.
    DISCLAIMER: AS A PUBLIC FORUM, THE CONTENT POSTED BY ME IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND IS NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR DOES IT CREATE ANY KIND OF SPECIAL OR OTHER RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND ME. IF YOU CHOOSE TO FOLLOW ANYTHING THAT I HAVE PUBLISHED THEN YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND COST, AND I CANNOT ACCEPT LIABILITY. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE BY GOING TO Law Society's Find A Solicitor OR CONTACT YOUR LOCAL Citizen's Advice Bureau.