Thread: Recent split

• Display

Mentions
    1 Post(s)

Default Recent split

Hello All

Well this is mine field, I am looking to seek advice on the below matters , I have recently split from my partner of 6 years who is suffering from anxiety and depression now its been discovered for the last 3 years on average. I am needing to know just what happens in her financial situation as i have to move out and luckily have very understanding MD who has become guarantor for a new flat.
    My existing situation is she has no job or employment. we have signed up for 2 yr contract in May this year. I was asked to leave only only 9 days ago.
    She has already told me she will get signed off like that ! with her depression and anxiety etc . I have always worked my entire life and fortunate to be in a position where she didn't need to work.
    If she is signed off for the above can anyone advise if she will have the rent covered ? or how much she will be entitled to from the government ? I understand we both now qualify for single occupancy on council tax ?. I believe this should be -25% ?
    Sorry i have no idea of the ins and outs of the government hand out system and fine it a total minefield.
    Also can she claim any rights to payments i mean intentionally in malice if she desired ? I was step father too 2 lovely children and insisted straight away i could see them once a month ?.
    Would I have any claim or do I have no rights ?

Sorry to ask, as I need to check every penny as with this property and actually wanting to care for the roof over their heads I just need some honest concrete answers as many people think they know but so conflicting !
    Much appreciated if anyone has the time to help

Thank You

VIP Member

Mentions
    5 Post(s)

Default Re: Recent split

Hi

Sorry to hear of your situation and the concern for you ex is admirable, so many splits end selfishly and with people at war. Turn2us have a benefits calculator, this allows your ex or you to input all of the infomation about her situation and will advise what is available to her, it's here: https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Unfortunately unless you have adopted or have parental rights to the children I don't think you have any legal right to see them. All you can do is hope that she allows you to see them both for their benefit as I'm sure they have grown attached to you and yours as clearly you have them.
    My posts on this forum are offered based on my experience dealing with a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training and if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB. If you follow anything I write on this forum you do so at your own risk and I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other out comes.

Mentions
    1 Post(s)

Default Re: Recent split

Hi

Hopefully contact between you and the children will take place as agreed. If problems arise, you would be advised to first seek to resolve these via family mediation. If mediation failed to resolve the problem, you could apply to the court for a contact order ( now called a child arrangements order) as you have lived with the children for more than 3 years. The court would make whatever order was considered to be in the best interests of the children. I hope that this gives you some reassurance.