Thread: Npower Bill 2 years later

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default Npower Bill 2 years later

My son moved into a rented property with his girlfriend in April 2014, she moved out in August 2014 & he moved out in April 2015 the house stood empty for May 2015 although he was still the tenant. At the time he was in full time employment with one company during the week & worked every other weekend for another company.

In February 2017 they sent him a letter saying that in 20th January 2017 the meter had been examined & it had been bypassed prior to my sons occupation & included was a bill for a further £546 which they estimate is the electricity he used in that period on top of the £450 he'd already put on the prepayment card, they had in May 2014 refused to change the meter to a post payment one.

We have reached deadlock with them, it has gone to the Ombudsman who are siding with Npower in that they can claim 10 units a day usage as that is the national average. Our argument is that no account of his single full time working status has been taken into account. Are there grounds to fight this or do we just have to roll over & take it no matter how unfair it is. I do not object to paying an amount to make this go away, but the amount they are claiming is greater than my own bill in a house which is 50% bigger, with my wife at home all day.

Not sure it makes any difference but my son now currently lives in New Zealand

Thanks in advance.

VIP Member

Mentions
    414 Post(s)

Default Re: Npower Bill 2 years later

hi
    Sure it makes a difference!
    This is not your bill.
    Tell Npower that your son is no longer in the country, having emigrated to New Zealand.
    That should make it go away

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by des8 View Post
    hi
    Sure it makes a difference!
    This is not your bill.
    Tell Npower that your son is no longer in the country, having emigrated to New Zealand.
    That should make it go away
    They do know, it took over 6 weeks before they would even talk to me about it, maybe that was my mistake, being too honest, maybe I should have just put 'Not known at this address' & returned to sender. He's not emigrated he's there on a visa until at least next February but not sure what is happening after that, whether he will come home or continue travelling elsewhere.

VIP Member

Mentions
    414 Post(s)

Whichever way you look at it, it is not your bill,
    As a parent I appreciate your desire to help your son, but unless you have given an undertaking to Npower there is little they can do.
    If you want to help your son and are prepared to pay something you could write a "without prejudice" letter to Npower,
    Remind them your son is no longer available (!), but that to resolve the matter once and for all you are willing to make an ex gratia payment to them of £X in full and final settlement. You will require confirmation that they will take no further action.
    They will probably not accept it, but from then on I would ignore them (and tell your son to stay o/seas for 6 years!)

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for this, yes I do feel responsible, I am also willing to pay a sum which would reflect his usage, but they are basing it on the UK average of 10 units per day which I find unacceptable. The Ombudsman has found in their favour, or least they have made a decision that what they have done is within guidelines, with a £75 reduction on how it was handled.

Is there a standard template letter available to use?

VIP Member

Mentions
    414 Post(s)

I doubt you'll find a template letter anywhere for your situation.
    You should just write and remind them you have no liability for this estimated bill, which is due from a person no longer resident in the UK.
    However to bring the situation to a conclusion you would consider paying a reasonable sum.
    Confirmation would be required that this amount would have to be accepted as a full and final settlement,

You understand the AVERAGE uk usage is 10 units per day.
    As however the person liable for the outstanding amount was single, and rarely in the premises to which the bill relates, you maintain the estimate is excessive.
    Offer a figure you think is reasonable (less a further 20% ? to allow for negotiations) and tell them again this is not an admission that you are liable for this debt,
    Await their response.

Do not admit any responsibility