Thread: Notice of risk of redundancy validity

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default Notice of risk of redundancy validity

Hello,

the company I work for has an office that they want to close. I was recruited from and worked at it until 16 months ago when I moved to an office more local to me. The company is restructuring after a merger and I have received a notice of risk of redundancy because HR records still have me as working from the original office (its still not that big a firm!), despite telling the new MD several times that I do not work there. They have stated in covering letters this is not making roles redundant, just the consequence of closing the office, so I'm 90% certain that I have nothing to worry about but ....

1) Is the notice valid given that I do not work from office 1?
    2) If not should I reject the notice now in writing?
    3) If not does it raise doubts as to the legality of the redundancy process?
    4) If it valid, is there anything I can do during the consultation period to safeguard my position?

I have had hints from my line manager that I may be under threat because I have a contractual right to work from home 2 days a week and that they are unwilling to offer home working as an alternative to those at risk of redundancy, would this have an effect on my position if true?

LBcompare Admin

Mentions
    115 Post(s)

Default Re: Notice of risk of redundancy validity

Did you ever get a letter confirming your change of location?

How far apart are the two locations?

If they are completely closing one office and making everyone redundant at that office as a consequence then it may simply be an oversight that you received the letter, particularly as you have worked at the new location for 16 months now. I would suggest that to get clarification on the situation that you email HR asking why you have received the notice of risk of redundancy as you have not worked at that office for 16 months. See what their response is and it could be there is nothing further for you to worry about or if they come back with anything else then please let us know the position and we can see what we can do to help.
    I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

No letter, but my manager emailed to confirm he has now updated the records prior to the MD handing me the risk notice.

The locations are about 100 miles apart, I used to stay overnight through the week at location 1 and can now commute to the head office (still 60 odd miles).

The company has outsourced the redundancy process, so HR would have given them a list of workers at risk, but now it is out of their hands. The MD has promised to clarify why I was included in the at risk, but I emailed him with this information last Thursday and reiterated at the formal meeting yesterday when he insisted that he still had to give me the letter, until the situation was resolved.

LBcompare Admin

Mentions
    115 Post(s)

I presume though that even if the company is using an outsourced third party to help them manage the redundancy process the letter given to you came on your company's headed paper?

Whilst they resolve the issue I suggest you still formally go back in writing/email to whomever signed off the letter and copy in the HR department stating the fact that the redundancy process referred to in the letter of (insert date of the letter) is in relation to a site closing down that you have not worked at for 16 months. You believe this is an oversight due to your personnel record not being updated to reflect your transfer to a different site and please can they confirm that you have been erroneously included in the redundancy process.
    I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.