• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

post office sub postmaster thief

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post office sub postmaster thief

Hi can anyone here please help me or point me in the right direction
    Or have some suggestions on what is best to do..

6 weeks ago my mrs went to the post office to pay the house rent the same as she does every two weeks, she handed over £247 and got a receipt the same as she has done for at least the last 3 and a half years and since then has made another two more payments,
    At the end of last week we received a letter form our landlord saying the rent was in arrears the thing is that we have never been in arrears so naturally she went to check the receipts, she discovered when she made the payment six weeks ago the receipt says £2.47p even dough she paid £247 so she went to the post office to speak to the man who took the money, he straight away said without even checking records or the computer “my till were not over that week” and told that she only paid £2.47p.
    Who do we turn to? This man has pocketed £244.53 of our money.
    Please someone help?

Re: post office sub postmaster thief

Your first port of call should be the Post Office to register an official complaint.

Visit this link and register your complaint. http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...ediaId=3100051 or call them on 08457 22 33 44

If you have all the receipts going back three and a half years and none of them are made out for £2.47 I would suggest that you have a pretty strong, if circumstantial case.

Comment

thank you Cetelco for your reply

that was my first port of call and all they did was tell me that they checked with the sub post office and got the same answer his till was not over.
      I have made an appeal and am now waiting for an answer but I am not hopefull

Comment

Originally posted by ssuleyman View Post
        thank you Cetelco for your reply

that was my first port of call and all they did was tell me that they checked with the sub post office and got the same answer his till was not over.
        I have made an appeal and am now waiting for an answer but I am not hopefull

yes well of course the till would not be over if it was deliberate

he would have entered 2.47 and put 2.47 in the till and pocketed the rest. But this is a very serious accusation.

I would also be trying to gather any other evidence such as did anybody else witness the cash being taken to the post office - or anything else like that you could think of?

Also I would be asking for written confirmation of whether they have been any other official complaints regarding that particular office in the past or any investigations.

What kid of PIB was it ? I.e is there a stub with the amount or is it just written on a slip.

In whos writing is the £2.47 - do the post office keep a copy ?

Can you ask to see this?

Scooby
        "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Due to security, nearly all post offices have cctv on the counters so this should be able to easily show that you handed over a wad of notes, or a few pound coins.

If you know the date, approx time, and can describe what you were wearing, (so as to identify you)
          you are entitled to write and request copies of images under the DPA

PKea
          Last edited by Paule; 11th August 2008, 11:45:AM.

Comment

Good thought PKea. As for time and date, that should be on the receipt IF its a printed one.

Comment

thanks for all your help guys

post office claims said nothing they can do but after having to appeal they paid us £244.53. so we got lots of stress and the subpostoffice master is £247 better off.

Comment

They didnt investigate him at all ?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

he should have been investeged and cctv tapes and to check properly there was an incident at a p.o. and with proper checks they did find the mistake as it happened the postmaster himself wasnt in but the sub master found it on the saturday ghee the pom will have been in trouble on the monday

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X