• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Would this indicate dismissal had already been decided?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this indicate dismissal had already been decided?

If employer writes a dismissal letter for a specific person the day before a disciplinary hearing, and dismisses the named employee on the same day as the disciplinary hearing, would that indicate the employer had already decided he was going to dismiss the employee? Or was employer just thinking ahead because you never know when you might need a dismissal letter made out to a specific person?
    Tags: None

Re: Would this indicate dismissal had already been decided?

I would imagine that they were planning ahead.

Comment

I thought of that one and if the employer was planning ahead then wouldn't they have written letters for each contingency like, dismissal, warning, demotion, or even no further action?

In this instance they only wrote the one letter, a dismissal letter.

Comment

The normal operations of an employer in regard to HR matters is that they will have a "bank" of template letters covering a range from recruitment to dismissal.

Normally if a process is being followed I.e. a disciplinary process they will tailor the template letters to the particular situation. My advice to employers is always that for any letters that detail the outcome of a meeting such as a disciplinary hearing they should be written after the event. This is because you should not pre-determine the outcome of such a meeting or be seen to do that. However I am sure that not all employers act in that way and in fact draft the letter in advance, although they then wou,d have to review it before sending if the outcome of the meeting was different.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

If, at the same time of writing the dismissal letter, the employer also seeks advice on ways he can tell the employee he's been dismissed, could that be seen as pre-determining the outcome?

For instance, the disciplinary hearing will be held at midday, employee will be back in work the same evening. A dismissal letter posted after the hearing wont reach the employee in time and he will turn up for work, so employer seeks advice on if he can phone employee to inform him of dismissal.

Comment

Does this relate to your other post "Is this allegation reasonable"?

An employer can seek advice at any time from a third party e.g. solicitor or HR consultant in regard to an employee related matter. It may be that they wish to find out what the range of options are to them i.e. we have a disciplinary hearing what happens if the person has a justified reason for their actions and we accept them or partially accept them what should we do or we if we do not accept their explanation what type of action can we take.

Employers are under an obligation to make sure they follow a fair process and in doing so, if they do not have the expertise, they are best advised to get some advice.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X