• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

remortgage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remortgage

For a friend not me no longer property owner.
    Friend is separated from partner no chance of reconciliation they have a joint mortgage on a jointly owned property next year a fixed term low rate mortgage is ending as he will not agree to a new application and she is not earning enough to get own mortgagw.

Question is what can happen will the lender want repossession to get there money back/
    Tags: None

Re: remortgage

Hi Wales01man,
    Not sure what you're getting at here? The mortgage co would only repossess if they don't pay their mortgage and after giving them opportunity to do so.
    The fixed rate will just end whenever it is meant to but the mortgage will carry on at the standard variable rate. They may even find it drops slightly as the fixed rates are generally set higher currently than the rates have been falling to. The mortgage will of course continue to be payable.
    Did your friend want the property sold? Were they married or co-habiting?
    It may be worth severing the tenancy so they become tenants in common rather than joint tenants. That means that they can will their share of the property to someone other than the co-owner if they so wish. It will depend how they hold the property.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      Friend is separated from partner no chance of reconciliation they have a joint mortgage on a jointly owned property next year a fixed term low rate mortgage is ending as he will not agree to a new application and she is not earning enough to get own mortgagw.

Question is what can happen will the lender want repossession to get there money back/
      Who is currently paying the mortgage?

If it's a joint mortgage and the borrowers can't keep up with the new payments (if they're higher after the fixed rate ends) then they'll both be jointly and severally liable for the loan regardless of who's living in the property.

This means that if it were to be repossessed and it there were to be a shortfall after the sale/auction by the lender then your friend's partner could be chased for any money owing. I wonder if he realises that when being uncooperative.

Do you think he's refusing to agree to an 'internal remortgage' (where the lender offers the borrower a new product) with the intention of forcing your friend into a situation where the house has to be sold to prevent repossession?

Is there any equity in the property?

Di

Comment

Thanks for the replies will find out more from him and get back on

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X