• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED** Claim for Statute Barred debt recieved 07Aug 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Claim for Statute Barred debt recieved 07Aug 2017

Thanks Di, procedural issues I was unaware of.

We clearly both have the same goal, to help the OP defend their case

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
      Thanks Di, procedural issues I was unaware of.
      They're not really procedural issues, they're knowing how to play the game.

No two litigators go about things in the same way. You also need to know your opponent's tactics (from experience of facing them in court or along the way) so you know their Achilles heel.

I've always said that reading/studying law is one thing, but practising law is another.

I agree with you that it's all about getting the OP the best result

Di

Comment

Hi

Sorry I've not had much to add to this until now.

I've had a conversation with the mediation service (not with the claimant) and we agreed mediation was not appropriate and the case will be transferred to my local court. I am thinking of sending this to HC & Co in the hope they will see the light and end this, has anyone any thoughts or suggestions what I could add? Thanks all for helping me with this.

Howard Cowen & Co

Suite 1B
        Joseph’s Well
        Hanover Walk
        Leeds LS31AB 13/11/17
        Dear Sirs
        I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR YOUR CLIENT.
        Re: Claim No.
        Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Ltd -v-

Hello

I have decided to contact you today over this matter after my conversation with the mediation service. We both agreed that this case is unsuitable for mediation and the case will be referred for a court hearing.
        I am very saddened that you have chosen to completely disregard my defence and wish to continue with this vexatious litigation. You must take seriously that this alleged debt is statute barred and I urge you to end this harassment. You are wasting my time and you will be wasting the court's time.
        I will be defending this claim and will be giving evidence, not limited to, informing your client of the fact the alleged debt is statute barred and their blatant denial of the fact, their claim of a payment made 31/03/17 which I believe to be fictitious as I have documentary evidence that no payment was ever made towards this alleged debt for over 7 years.
        I welcome your thoughts on this matter and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Comment

I wouldn't send that confrontational letter.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
            I wouldn't send that confrontational letter.

Di
            Okay thanks for the advice I won’t send it. I didn’t see or mean it that way I just can’t understand why they are continuing with the action after reviewing my defence. Guess I wait for a court date then?

Comment

Originally posted by eiggy View Post
              Okay thanks for the advice I won’t send it. I didn’t see or mean it that way I just can’t understand why they are continuing with the action after reviewing my defence. Guess I wait for a court date then?
              I wasn't condemning the contents of your letter, I was just saying don't send it - although I expect you felt better for writing it. I know I would

I've not seen the Statute Barred evidence you've got, but you'll have a chance to show it to the court when you file your Witness Statement.

What happens next is the case will be transferred to your local county court. You'll receive a Notice of Allocation (to the Small Claims Track) with a date of the Hearing and Directions of when you must file your WS. That'll be the moment to present your evidence.

If you're 1,000% certain of your SB argument then consider writing them a factual letter in which you invite them to Discontinue the claim. That's the same as telling them to "stop wasting my time" but in a more legal way.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                I wasn't condemning the contents of your letter, I was just saying don't send it - although I expect you felt better for writing it. I know I would

I've not seen the Statute Barred evidence you've got, but you'll have a chance to show it to the court when you file your Witness Statement.

What happens next is the case will be transferred to your local county court. You'll receive a Notice of Allocation (to the Small Claims Track) with a date of the Hearing and Directions of when you must file your WS. That'll be the moment to present your evidence.

If you're 1,000% certain of your SB argument then consider writing them a factual letter in which you invite them to Discontinue the claim. That's the same as telling them to "stop wasting my time" but in a more legal way.

Di
                Thank you Di, I like your idea and I will try that as I really don’t want to go to court. The evidence I have is documents from a SAR made to Barclaycard, letters from DCA’s over years including the current DCA and CC claim which all have the exact same balance for 7 years so the DCA’s Claim of payment made in is false. Relevant I’m not sure but the alleged payment happens to coincide with a CCA request made by me.

Comment

Have sent this off via email, less confrontational that the last draft thanks for the advice Diana M.

Dear Sirs

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR YOUR CLIENT.
                  Re: Claim No.

Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Ltd -v-

I have decided to contact you today over this matter following my conversation with the mediation service. We both agreed that this case is unsuitable for mediation and the case will be referred for a court hearing.
                  You must take seriously that this alleged debt is statute barred and I urge you to investigate this fact and see that no payment has been made for over 7 years.
                  I will be defending this claim and will be giving evidence, not limited to, how I have informed your client of the fact the alleged debt is statute barred and that the claim of a payment made 31/03/13 is untrue as I have documentary evidence that no payment has been made towards this alleged debt for over 7 years.
                  I welcome your thoughts on this matter and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
                  Last edited by eiggy; 1st December 2017, 14:48:PM. Reason: Alleged payment date correction, 2013 not 2017

Comment

I have some news to share.

CLAIM DISCONTINUED! Notice has been received and the court informed accordingly.

I wanted full closure on this so I have approached the claimant over the phone and had an off the record conversation. There was admittance that there had been an error and the CCA request I made in 2013 was 'mistakenly' seen as a payment to the account. How, after reviewing my defence they did investigate and see this I will never know, the who thing stinks of trying their luck.

I really hope this thread helps anyone who has taken an interest as maybe you find yourself in my situation. When you are 100% sure of facts stick to your guns. This has really paid off for me through what was a very testing and scary time. I didn't think I would be able to file a defence and deal with going to court, I found it very daunting, maybe they were hoping I wouldn't take it so far, who knows!

I've asked for a letter confirming the account is as I insisted statute bared and they said they would oblige.

Thanks [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] [MENTION=98117]warwick65[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1937]nemisis[/MENTION]45 for all you input and advice. I'd like to thank Diana especially.

The saga is over!

Comment

Fantastic !!! Well done !!!

I really hope this thread helps anyone who has taken an interest as maybe you find yourself in my situation. When you are 100% sure of facts stick to your guns. This has really paid off for me through what was a very testing and scary time. I didn't think I would be able to file a defence and deal with going to court, I found it very daunting, maybe they were hoping I wouldn't take it so far, who knows!
                      I second that ! These firms tend to rely on 'debtors' being terrified of court and eithering ignoring the forms or paying up because there's so little information out there how to deal with them ... and sadly the debt advice agencies are a tad rubbish when it comes to court claims.

Good time of year to have got this off your shoulders too Congrats xxxx
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by eiggy View Post
                        I have some news to share.

CLAIM DISCONTINUED! Notice has been received and the court informed accordingly.

I wanted full closure on this so I have approached the claimant over the phone and had an off the record conversation.
                        Excellent news!

Commonsense prevailed in the end.

Well Done You for taking a deep breath and making that call (so much better than sending them that confrontational letter ).

As you say the saga is over and you have closure *phew*

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          Fantastic !!! Well done !!!

I second that ! These firms tend to rely on 'debtors' being terrified of court and eithering ignoring the forms or paying up because there's so little information out there how to deal with them ... and sadly the debt advice agencies are a tad rubbish when it comes to court claims.

Good time of year to have got this off your shoulders too Congrats xxxx
                          Wouldn't have know what to do if it was not for the info and support on here. From the bottom of my heart, Thank you

Comment

Re: **DISCONTINUED** Claim for Statute Barred debt recieved 07Aug 2017

I'm so pleased for you.

You were already sure it was SB all I did was urge you to have a fallback position just in case

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X