• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Family member ran up debt in my name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family member ran up debt in my name

I've been a home owner for 5 years and went into my bank yesterday to apply to re-mortgage my house after splitting from my partner. To my shock and horror I was refused any credit from my bank, they were unable to tell me the reasons why, but advised me to look on experion to see my credit file. The advisor in the bank was confused as my income is more than sufficient to cover the money I'm looking to raise, I've never missed any mortgage payments and never been in areas / overdraft. My rating with the bank is A1.

So I got home and loaded up my credit file to find I'm £15k in debt! £10k loan and £5k credit card!! Then it clicked, about 10/15 years ago I was young and naively let me uncle pay his wages into a bank account that I now never use, its still in my old address. I totally forgot about it. But somehow he's been able to run this debt up. Now I'm stuck in no mans land as I cant raise any funds to pay my partner off the mortgage. I spoke to my uncle and he's come clean, he knows he's got this debt and willing to hold his hands up and claim fraud. He's pretty much passing this account as his own, he gets his wages paid into it and his bills come out of it too, but its in my name. Can anyone advise where I stand legally.

If I go down the ID theft route will it put my current count that I use and my mortgage in jeopardy?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X