• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business van purchase and the closure of the business.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business van purchase and the closure of the business.

Good evening,

I am looking for some advice on a matter between a business van purchase and the closure of the business.

Three months ago we purchased two vans on finance with black horse. Unfortunately due to underhand tactics from one director we have had to close the business. This has left me with two vans that i can no longer pay for.
    I have been in contact with black horse collections team who have stated that because we are terminating the contract the vans will be collected and sent to auction. Following this i would incur the costs of collection, auction and the difference in finance value to auction sale value.

Would you know if this is standard procedure or just pressure tactics to get me to pay. They have discussed setting up payment plans once the vans have been auctioned but regardless of the outcome i will not be in a position to pay the settlement figure as the business closure has caused significant financial stress to myself and others.

Subsequently the director who took out the two policies has resigned, declared himself bankrupt and fled leaving me to pick up the pieces and company debt.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Business van purchase and the closure of the business.

Is / was the business a limited company and were the vans purchased ( on finance) by the company ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Is / was the business a limited company and were the vans purchased ( on finance) by the company ?
      Apologies. Yes it is a limited company and both vans were purchased in the company name.

Thanks.

Comment

Did you act as a guarantor for the loan?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          Did you act as a guarantor for the loan?
          hi, neither of us did

Comment

You should mot be liable for LTD company debts id the company goes under or is struck of it no longer exists the vans are returned and that's the end. Are you still trading?

Comment

Are you liquidating the company ?

https://www.businessdebtline.org/EW/...trike-off.aspx
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

no, i was hoping to pay all the company debts and leave it dormant.

not sure if this is the best idea??

ive been left with a situation i know little to nothing about.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                You should mot be liable for LTD company debts id the company goes under or is struck of it no longer exists the vans are returned and that's the end. Are you still trading?
                no, i have stopped trading and completed the return of the VAT number.

Comment

Okay, so if this is your only remaining liability, you want to look at how much it might cost you rather than putting the company into liquidation.

Do you have copies of the finance agreements with black horse ? [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

3 months isn't very far in to the contract - were they new or second hand vans ? ( ie will they have depreceated hugely )
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Okay, so if this is your only remaining liability, you want to look at how much it might cost you rather than putting the company into liquidation.

Do you have copies of the finance agreements with black horse ? [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

3 months isn't very far in to the contract - were they new or second hand vans ? ( ie will they have depreceated hugely )
                    They are both used vans. The company we bought them from have offered to buy them back but at 1/4 of the value. I will have to contact black horse to obtain a copy of the finance agreement as i havnt been left with any company documentation, agreements or paperwork.

Thanks.

Comment

If what you are saying is true, the starting point is that you have no liability to Blackhorse in respect of the vehicles if the contracting party was the Ltd Company. As rightly pointed out companies are a separate legal entity and have their own liabilities which cannot be transferred to employees or directors of the company. There are a few exceptions to this but the main one being that you have entered into a personal guarantee for those vehicles and upon which you would be liable as soon as the debt is called in. If that isn't the case then you shouldn't have anything to worry about in that respect.

However if the business is no longer a going concern then you as a director have fiduciary duties to the business and also creditors as well to prevent further debt incurring. If voluntary liquidation is the right thing to do then that's what you need to do but you might well be suited in taking some initial legal advice before you do.
                      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Brilliant thank you.

Comment

Was this a loan to the company that allowed the purchase of the vans or was it a hire purchase type of agreement? If it was a straightforward loan then the vans are yours to sell if you wish. If you can get a reasonable price for them would that go a long way to paying off the loan?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X