Thread: Council Tax Class g exemption

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default Council Tax Class g exemption

My husband is the executor of his late mother's estate consisting of her sheltered flat. It is being marketed but as yet hasn't sold and under new rules all empty property his ratable. Let's just say that the council have been difficult over this problem and have now issued a summons. The only option they've given is for a solicitor to write a letter of undertaking which so far the ones we've approached have said they cannot do this until a purchaser has been found.

So here the thing I found an exemption that appears to be valid as legally we cannot occupy the property, the lease has an age restriction and we cannot sublet or rent the property either. Has anyone heard of class g exemption or knows whether the terms of the lease make it un-occupiable legally?

We have just over a week till my husband is in court.

Thank you.

VIP Member

Mentions
    420 Post(s)

Default Re: Council Tax Class g exemption

Hi and welcome

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0062318_en.pdf

Seems pretty clear cut to me! @Crazy council @Snoopy1948

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for your reply we now have confirmation from the council just now that the property does fall under class g exemption. This covers properties that cannot legally be lived in, such as retirement flats with conditions attached to lease. The nightmare for us is over but we will be letting people know that this little-used class is available. I'll leave my question up in case it proves useful for others.

Mentions
    38 Post(s)

Des 8 .....Thanks for that definition of class G.

Although I worked as a local authority enforcement officer for 23 years, but not involved with the billing of council tax ( although of course I rubbed shoulders with those guys most days ), I can recall one or two cases where a retirement property fell into the estate of others who were subsequently billed for council tax for the pleasure once the defined empty property exemption had expired. I cannot recall class G being either granted by the authority or argued by the 'charged' party but clearly this 1992 legislation should have applied to at least on of those cases.

Of course council tax law is complex but if you cannot trust those officers that bill and raise subsequent liability orders for the tax, who can you trust? Having said all of that, I clearly remember annual council tax bills going out with accompanying leaflets spelling out all said discounts and exemptions such as this. It's a sad reflection on the quality of some local authority staff, probably not helped by the depletion of key officers.

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy1948 View Post
    Des 8 .....Thanks for that definition of class G.

Although I worked as a local authority enforcement officer for 23 years, but not involved with the billing of council tax ( although of course I rubbed shoulders with those guys most days ), I can recall one or two cases where a retirement property fell into the estate of others who were subsequently billed for council tax for the pleasure once the defined empty property exemption had expired. I cannot recall class G being either granted by the authority or argued by the 'charged' party but clearly this 1992 legislation should have applied to at least on of those cases.

Of course council tax law is complex but if you cannot trust those officers that bill and raise subsequent liability orders for the tax, who can you trust? Having said all of that, I clearly remember annual council tax bills going out with accompanying leaflets spelling out all said discounts and exemptions such as this. It's a sad reflection on the quality of some local authority staff, probably not helped by the depletion of key officers.

Seems that Legal Beagles is providing a public service, well done!