• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

House of Lords: banks given leave to appeal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: House of Lords: banks given leave to appeal

Odd that Gander is ''not at all surprised'' ?

According to the announcement on his site the Master of the Rolls said the banks had ''no chance'' of the HoLs granting leave to appeal.

I think we can safely place the 'quote' into the already bulging 'Here's one they made up earlier' file.

Comment

I'm not sure that the breaking news is entirely accurate:
      Unless I have misinterpreted the text.(see HoL bit)
      Appeals process | Richard Buxton Solicitors

Comment

The banks now have to enter their petition to appeal and associated docs by the 15th April - can't find out the timings from then on though. ?

Seems to be six weeks from presentation of appeal to enter statements of appeal - so thats end of May when it will be set down for hearing. Then within 7 days of that they have to give time estimates - THEN the HoL can allocate a hearing date. So will be mid May before we have a hearing date.

3 weeks before the hearing the statements of case etc have to be exchanged then all papers submitted to the house at least 14 days before hearing date.

Lodgment of petition of appeal
        4.22 If leave to appeal is given, the petition of appeal (direction 9) must be lodged with the prescribed
        fee within 14 days of the date of the Appeal Committee’s decision. Failure to meet this deadline results in
        the petition of appeal being lodged out of time and referred to an Appeal Committee pursuant to direction

9.14 Once the petition of appeal has been lodged, it is presented to the House and recorded in the House
        of Lords Business3.

9.15 Respondents or their agents should enter appearance to an appeal as soon as they have received
        service of the petition of appeal, by informing the Judicial Office by post of their name and address or
        that of their firm and paying the prescribed fee.

10.1 Within seven days of the presentation of an appeal, appellants must give security for costs by
        paying into the House of Lords Security Fund Account the sum fixed by the House1. Failure to do so
        results in the appeal being dismissed by default (unless public funding or legal aid has been applied for:
        see direction 41.3)

13.1 The Statement and Appendix must be lodged by the appellants within six weeks of the presentation
        of the appeal, or within such longer period as may be allowed on petition (see direction 13.3)2.

14.1 An appeal is set down for hearing at the same time as the appellants lodge the Statement and
        Appendix3.

14.3 Within seven days of the setting down of an appeal, each party must notify the Judicial Office of
        the number of hours that their counsel estimate to be necessary for each of them to address the Appellate
        Committee. Subject to any directions by the Appellate Committee before or at the hearing, counsel are
        expected to confine their submissions to the time indicated in their estimates. The Judicial Office should
        be informed at once of any alteration to the original estimate.

14.4 The average length of appeals before the Appellate Committee is two days, and appeals are listed
        for hearing on this basis. Estimates of more than two days must be explained in writing to the Head of
        the Judicial Office and may be referred to the Law Lords.
        Last edited by Amethyst; 1st April 2009, 16:17:PM.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Here is an example of what the petition will look like from the McDonalds case in 1999

Petition to Appeal to the House of Lords

Comment

I spose a lot depends on the judicial business calendar.

Hilary: 12th January - Wednesday 8th April 2009
            Easter: 21st April - Friday 22nd May 2009*
            Trinity: 2nd June - Friday 31st July 2009
            Michaelmas: 1st October - Monday 21st December 2009
            *Courts will Not sit on Monday 4th May 2009 as this will be a Bank Holiday.

Comment

It must be a kick in the teeth for the judges who have heard the case and decided that these charges can be assessed for fairness, to have the HOL decide that the banks can appeal.

I for one am disgusted with all the press about the banks and their dodgy dealings for the HOL to allow the banks to drag this out further.

I am ashamed to think that the hard working people of this country are penalised and not allowed to claim what is rightfully theirs, whilst the corrupt are getting away with theft which is what I think these charges are.

It looks like this is going to drag on for a few years yet as I presume the banks will take it all the way to the European Courts.

I would just like to know how the RBS, HBOS and the TSB can justify spending tax payers money to fund this farce.

Comment

Originally posted by showergirl View Post
                It must be a kick in the teeth for the judges who have heard the case and decided that these charges can be assessed for fairness, to have the HOL decide that the banks can appeal.
                They don't really care if either party uses their legal right to appeal their decision. Judges never take things to heart.
                I for one am disgusted with all the press about the banks and their dodgy dealings for the HOL to allow the banks to drag this out further.
                Fair enough. I am pleased they are being allowed to appeal.
                I am ashamed to think that the hard working people of this country are penalised and not allowed to claim what is rightfully theirs, whilst the corrupt are getting away with theft which is what I think these charges are.
                I don't think its theft but I believe the level of the charges makes them unfair.
                It looks like this is going to drag on for a few years yet as I presume the banks will take it all the way to the European Courts.
                If that is their legal right then so be it but it means that claims can go in from 27th July 2001(so a nice savings account at 8% per annum).
                I would just like to know how the RBS, HBOS and the TSB can justify spending tax payers money to fund this farceThey're not spending taxpayers money but money that they are making themselves..
                Good result in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
                  Good result in my opinion.
                  So do you agree with the decision to let the banks appeal and do you think that the outcome will be the same that these charges can be assessed for fairness

Comment

It was a given really wasn't it.

Comment

Looking on the bright side we now have the opportunity of the highest court in the land to rubber stamp both of the lower court's rulings, putting the matter firmly to bed.

Comment

So do you agree with the decision to let the banks appeal and do you think that the outcome will be the same that these charges can be assessed for fairness
                        Without seeing the evidence as it hasn't been submitted for the appeal, I have no opinion on it. The HOL would have to overturn a point of law they have already ruled on so I would be surprised if the judgement changes. However, until you see what they are arguing it would be difficult to judge.

Comment

Well well well, I didn't think it would happen but personally I am actually quite pleased that this is now going to HoL appeal.

Just think about it for a minute.

Those with genuine hardship claims appear to be getting interim payouts anyway. That's great and if they are entitled to anything extra then they will get that at the end of the case.

Exc and I and anyone else who wishes will have the opportunity to pop along to the HoL and see the appeal in action.

and whatever anyone says..........

every day that passes adds a large amount to my outstanding claims in the form of compound interest. Which I will be claiming and securing as part of the eventual settlement of my claim. With savings interest rates as they at present my stayed bank charges claims are potentially a pretty lucrative investment !!!!!!! PMSL
                          Last edited by Budgie; 1st April 2009, 16:50:PM.

Comment

Yup thats a better rate than in the Bank lol

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
                              Without seeing the evidence as it hasn't been submitted for the appeal, I have no opinion on it. The HOL would have to overturn a point of law they have already ruled on so I would be surprised if the judgement changes. However, until you see what they are arguing it would be difficult to judge.
                              I believe it will be the same evidence that was heard at the appeal court. I don't think they can add any new evidence at this stage.

Comment

To the first question, yes. To the second question, yes. To the third question (will the banks appeal to the european courts) yes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X