• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Erroneous transfer of gas supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erroneous transfer of gas supply

First of all, Hello! Been a regular browser but I now have a potentially messy problem that I believe may require a little knowledge.

We took up a private tenancy in about Mid-September 2016 with Npower as our supplier. Around February we had a letter through the door from British Gas addressed to Joe Bloggs. Obviously we didn’t open it. Then an email was received from Npower saying they were sorry to see us go. We contacted them and they confirmed our supply had been switched to British Gas and they couldn’t understand why, and that they would start the process to switch it back stating it wasn’t our fault. Emails containing “switch underway” and then “switch has been stopped” in early March is when we bombarded Npower to get the job done, but they were having problems. As far as we were concerned it was done, a direct debit was already in place and our gas supply was uninterrupted. In May we tried to take our meter readings in only to find we couldn’t, there was no account to give the readings to. We contacted Npower and they were oblivious to our previous attempts to stop the transfer and the account was now fully transferred. They checked the history and realised their error and confirmed they would apply the “erroneous transfer policy” we wouldn’t be billed for the gas as we never requested it and we had no idea who Joe was anyway. Come August we were packing, moving house on September 5th so we gave final electric readings and they advised us to give the gas reading also as they were aware the account was coming back to them. We found out British Gas was not allowing the transfer to take place. We are now settled in our new house. We have just received a redirection letter from BG in my partners mispelled surname. A letter dated 26th October welcoming us to our old address, and a bill from March-August for £637. We have no idea what to do, are we meant to pay this bill? Can we assume our former landlord gave BG our name and is she allowed to do that? Our new property is supplied by BG but only because we were handed over to them, we won’t be staying for long, nor will Npower be given the time of day. I apologise for the long winded post, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards Lenny.
    Tags: None

Re: Erroneous transfer of gas supply

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding!

So Npower started the erroneous transfer process?

I would ask for proof of permission to transfer, in your name, if they cannot provide this then tell them you owe them nothing as you have never been their customer. ask Npower to deal with this and advise them that they are responsible for this as per their complaints proceedure.

Sorry it's a bit vague but its my first day in a new job so my brain is a bit frazzled
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Thank you for your reply. We called Npower immediately and they began the process but they obviously had problems doing so. How it was allowed to get fully transferred is beyond us. Should we contact Npower or BG? BG still don’t have the right name on the account! It’s a mess and we are worried that the unpaid bill will affect our credit. Thanks again.

Comment

i would speak to Npower as the bill is incorrect and should never have been raised.

If over 8 weeks has passed since your first complaint I should contact the Ombudsman too, the threat of this often is enough to move them faster!
        PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X